Implementing pallet wrappers into your current operations is a great way to boost productivity, save time and money and keep your employees safe — but how do you know which pallet wrapper is right for your business? Different types of pallet wrapping machines are available, depending on your specific needs.
Top Pallet Wrapping Machines
Experts anticipate the pallet wrapping industry to continue expanding, thanks to the growing number of businesses that rely on pallet wrapping machines to protect their products during transport and those seeking out automated solutions to keep up with the pace of supply and demand.
The main regions of the world seeing this growth are North America, Europe and Asia-Pacific, South America, Middle East and Africa. While many industries have invested in pallet wrapping systems, the food and beverage sector alone accounted for nearly 177 million dollars worth of sales in 2017.
These trends also show that specialty, automatic and semi-automatic machines have become a focal point for business owners because they free up valuable time and labor that they can reallocate toward other areas of operation.
Questions to Ask Before Buying a Pallet Wrapper
If you’re like other business owners and operators who need top-quality tools and equipment to keep up with today’s market demands, your pallet wrapping system is a good place to start.
What Pallet Wrapper Should I Get?
Before deciding which pallet wrapping system is best for you, ask yourself the following questions:
- How many pallets does my business currently wrap per day? A fully automatic pallet wrapper might be the best choice for high-volume warehouses, while smaller operations will likely find success with semi-automatic machines.
- What are the specifications of those pallets? The type of pallets you work with, including their contents, can help you make an informed buying decision. Note the average weight and dimensions of your current pallets to help you choose between a high or low profile machine, as well as the required load capacity.
- How much space do I have to work with? Some pallet wrapping systems require more space than others. Take into account the amount of floor, wall and overhead area you have available for your pallet wrapper.
- What is my budget? The best pallet wrapping machines to buy are those that require an initial investment that is within your budget. The right pallet wrapping machine should also offer a significant return on investment later on, through avenues like increased production time.
- How hands-free do I want to be? While manual wrapping systems are appropriate for some, semi-automatic and automatic wrappers are quickly becoming the go-to method for busy owners and operators looking to save money and focus their workforce elsewhere.
As you read through this pallet wrapping buying guide, keep your answers to these questions in mind to find the best machine suited for your needs, space and budget.
Best Pallet Wrapping Machines to Stay Ahead of the Curve
If you want to stay ahead of the industry and operate as efficiently as possible, these are some of the best pallet stretch wrappers available on the market today:
1. Turntable Semi-Automatic
Semi-automatic pallet wrappers are an ideal balance between hands-on power and time-saving efficiency. Once employees load pallets onto a semi-automatic wrapping system with a pallet jack or forklift, the semi-automatic turntable will take it from there.
This low profile machine is one of the top pallet wrappers for those who operate using pallet jacks. It sits low enough to the floor that you can easily place and retrieve each load, with very minimal action required.
Additional features the LP 2100-SRT include:
- LCD interface: The LCD interface is simple to use and lets you take control of your wrapping by letting you select separate spiral speeds for both upward and downward movement, reduce the film tension for light loads and pause and restart during a cycle. It also provides optional reinforced wrapping as well as the ability to operate under one of three different wrap programs. There is even a built-in diagnostics tool that can help you troubleshoot, should you encounter something you’re unfamiliar with.
- AC power motor: AC power requires less power on startup, making it economical, reliable and long-lasting.
- Custom features: Choose from additional standard or custom features to configure your pallet wrapping system to fit your exact needs.
The Switch HP-SW
The Switch HP-SW is a high profile pallet wrapper that’s perfect for businesses that want power without sacrificing safety and convenience.
Enjoy features like:
- Ease of use: Thanks to the LCD interface, you can start and pause your automatic wrapper with the single push of a button, as well as implement a cycle pause when applying top sheets. Both the front and the back of the wrapper have forklift ports, so movement is also easier than ever.
- Safety features: You chose a pallet wrapper to keep your employees safe, but this machine takes it even further with built-in safety features like an auto-off switch and emergency pause button, side-mounted carriages for easier maintenance and an anti-fall safety device.
- Long-lasting design: With an all-steel construction, durable sheet metal coverage and a powder-coated finish, rest easy knowing your investment is going to last for years to come.
2. Turntable Automatic
While semi-automatic turntables require an employee to cut the film, fully automatic machines can sense the size of the load, and cut and secure the wrapping when finished.
HP-SWA A-ARM Platform Automatic
The high profile HP-SWA A-ARM Platform Automatic is one of the best fully automatic turntable machines available.
In addition to the same durable construction you’ve come to expect from quality wrappers, you also access the following features:
- Hands-free operation: Operate your pallet wrapper — including cutting and attaching the wrap — from the comfort and security of a forklift using a wireless remote.
- Efficient wrapping: This wrapper comes equipped with a special film threading device that places the sticky side of the wrap against the pre-stretching rollers on the inside of the load while offering a superior level of film-to-roller contact.
- Patented A-Arm design: The A-Arm starts at the bottom of the load, rather than the top, and both cuts and holds the film while working its way down. It operates quickly and quietly, allowing the load to stabilize regardless of placement on the turntable. Plus, built-in safety features will let you know if your stack is too uneven and will adjust the A-Arm’s height to clear any obstructions.
3300-A Conveyorized A-Arm Automatic
In addition to our patent-pending A-Arm design, the 3300-A Conveyorized A-Arm Automatic pallet wrapper offers a fully automatic conveyorized system that can accommodate two pallets to start, and even more if you need to expand.
This is one of the best automatic turntables available, with features like:
- Simpler maintenance: This machine has no film clamp on the turntable, and the automatic turntable design eliminates air hook-ups and compressors, which means less machinery you have to worry about servicing.
- Ease of use: Complete nearly every step with the push of a button, including lowering, raising and ejecting the pallet load.
- Versatility: Choose from three different wrap modes — automatic spiral, automatic top banding and semi-automatic.
3. Rotary Arm Automatic and Semi-Automatic
Instead of turntable rotation, rotary arm machines keep your pallet stack stationery while overhead arms swing to wrap the load. Choose from either automatic or semi-automatic configurations.
One of the best automatic rotary arm machines is the 4100-FA ULTRA. With this system, you can choose from five different frame variations to suit a variety of floor space availability and configurations.
Other features include:
- Safety enhancements: This machine comes equipped with an emergency stop sensor in case of obstructions near the rotary arm, as well as dynamic braking on the arm and film carriage elevator.
- Touchscreen capability: Operate your wrapping system from the simple-to-use Panasonic PLC touchscreen interface.
- More control: Enjoy separate revolution top and bottom wrap controls and a selectable reduced bottom film force parameter for wrapping the bottom of your pallet stack.
4100 Hercules FS
If you’re looking for a semi-automatic rotary system, look no further than the 4100 Hercules FS.
Take advantage of features like:
- Choice: Choose whether you want to start wrapping from the base or top, or add optional reinforced mid wrapping for more protection.
- Quick access: With a three-choice program selector, you can input your unique wrapping parameters into the system and save it for quick and easy access for the next time you operate the machine.
- Floor support: Four free-standing floor-mounted posts offer maximum support for this durable, all-steel machine.
4. The Pilot Stretch Wrapper
The Pilot Stretch Wrapper is a durable, affordable, simple-to-operate pallet wrapping system.
With this system, you get:
- HMI Interface: The built-in interface system lets you choose between different wrapping parameters and can provide helpful feedback and diagnostic tips.
- Minimal maintenance: Thanks to the turntable capacity and rotation speed, there is no steel-on-steel contact, which means a longer-lasting machine with minimal ongoing maintenance required.
- Optional features: Choose to add-on optional features, like an extended tower for larger wrap heights, a ramp for easy pallet jack loading and a non-powered carriage for netting and pre-stretched film.
Cousins Packaging Is Here to Help
At Cousins Packaging, we do more than provide the best pallet wrapping machines on the market. Our knowledgable and dedicated team is also here to help answer your questions and guide you through each step of the pallet wrapping process.
After we learn more about you and your business, we can assist you with everything from initial project development, design, manufacturing and the installation of your new pallet wrapper. In addition to unlimited access to all of our helpful online resources, we are also happy to offer after-sale services if necessary — whatever it takes to help you get the most out of your new pallet wrapping system.